Wasabi Encrusted Sea Bass
with Ponzu Sauce
• ½ cup Wasabi peas
• ½ cup Panko bread crumbs
• 4-4 oz. portions of sea bass or your favorite firm white fish
• 2 eggs, beaten
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF degrees
2. Grind ¼ cup Wasabi peas and Panko bread crumbs. Use a spice or coffee grinder. Process until the mixture resembles a coarse flour. Crush the remainder of the Wasabi peas to make coarse crumbs. Add the rest of the Panko crumbs to the Wasabi crumbs. Dry the fish with a paper towel. Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper. Dredge the fish in the flour mixture, then the eggs, and then the crumb mixture.
3. Lightly coat a sauté pan with canola oil spray. Preheat the pan and add the fish. Cook until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes on each side.
4. Transfer the fish into a baking pan. Bake for 5 to 8 minutes, or until the fish is cooked through.
5. Top each serving of fish with 2 tablespoons of Ponzu sauce (recipe below). Serve with your favorite blend of stir-fry vegetables such as julienne peppers (various colors), snowpeas, julienne carrots and a serving of brown rice.
• 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
• 2 tablespoons low-sodium Tamari sauce
• 2 tablespoons water
• 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
• 1 tablespoon grated ginger
• 2 teaspoons Agave nectar or honey
• ¼ teaspoon hot chili sesame oil (may use sesame oil and add Tabasco to taste)
Combine all ingredients in blender. Process until smooth.
Photo courtesy of www.two25peoria.com