1 lb roma tomatoes, diced (or a 28oz canned diced tomatoes)
½ cup sugar
5 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
½ Tbsp red pepper flakes (more or less to taste)
1 large clove of garlic, minced
¼ cup diced sweet onion
a pinch of cumin
½ tsp kosher salt
3 Tbsp bourbon
- Mix all ingredients except for the bourbon in a saucepan.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat while stirring; Once the mix has come to a boil, increase the heat to medium-high to keep it at a boil.
- Stir and gently crush tomatoes with a wooden spoon as they soften. After about 5 minutes, add the bourbon and mix through.
- Continue to cook until the liquid has become syrupy and thick (usually another 10-20 minutes). The end product will resemble preserves.
- Serve immediately or cool and store in fridge. Keeps 1-2 weeks in a sealed container.
Makes 1 cup of Jam